Working Holiday Information

Plan the perfect working holiday with

Working abroad gives you the opportunity to see a different side to a country, become a part of a community and learn valuable skills for life.

A live-in job is the best way to plan your 2 year working holiday, because you cant afford to take 2 years out and just travel, the only way to do it, is plan your travels around a live-in job topping up your travel fund.

The hospitality industry accounts for the vast majority of seasonal and temporary work in the UK.


Youth Mobility Scheme

The Youth Mobility scheme allows nationals from participating countries to work and reside in the UK for 2 years.
Only citizens from the following countries are currently allowed to participate in this scheme:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • New Zealand

Ancestral Visa

The UK Ancestry visa is an immigration visa allowing Commonwealth citizens to immigrate to the UK to live and work in Britain. Applicants for this type of family visa must have a grandparent who was born in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

The visa is initially issued for 5 years, after this time people on ancestry visas can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK so long they have spent 5 years continuously in the country and have either current employment or can demonstrate the intention and ability to seek employment.

Worker Registration Scheme

Since 01 May 2004, most nationals of the new EU will need to register on the WRS.
Nationals for the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia, who obtain employment in Britain must register under the WRS as soon as they secure a job, to be monitored for the first 12 months of employment and failure to register within the first month will prevent them from continuing to work legally.

A UK worker’s registration certificate is issued for a period of 12 months, the applicant may continue living and working in the UK so long as the employment continues. It is important to note that applications for WRS depend upon a specific job offer. If applicants change their jobs within the first 12 months, their registration will have to be renewed.

EEA Nationals

EEA nationals will to secure a workers registration certificate to live and work in the UK.
Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Sweden.

Accession Workers Card

Bulgarian and Romanian nationals looking to work in the UK will need to obtain permission from the UK Boarder Agency before starting any employment. The Person may require a work Permit. If so, it is the responsibility of the employer to apply for a work permit and the responsibility of the applicant to apply for an Accession Workers Card. Both stages must be approved before the person can start work.

Spousal Visa

Spouses of UK citizens or permanent residents may come to the UK under marriage visa category, and are able to work as soon as a visa is granted.

For more information on UK visas please see