The bricklayers arms was originally two cottages, built in 1722 from local flint and brick with a third dwelling added in the early eighteenth century. One of the cottages was a butcher shop with the other housing a blacksmith’s forge. A village shop was also added in the late eighteenth century.
In 1832 The Hon. George William Cavendish converted one of the cottages into a Benskins Ale House. It remained that way for more than 140 years when the other two cottages were purchased to extend the pub. The most recent expansion was a sympathetic conversion of the outbuilding and barn into the restaurant’s present configuration. Since 2003 the owners Sally and Alvin Michaels have not only maintained the essence of a beautiful grade II listed country pub, but with the help of Michelin trained chef Claude Paillet have transformed the Bricklayers Arms into an award winning and nationally recognised restaurant.