We are looking for motivated individuals to join our team for the remainder of our 2022 season.
Season: Start: August through till end of October.
The role includes free accommodation (if needed) along with two free meals a day. Hourly rates of pay between £9.50 and £10 for the right candidates as well as tips and holiday pay. This is a great opportunity to join a well-established business and team for the remainder of our 2022 season with guaranteed work in the 2023 season for individuals that prove to be reliable, efficient, and dedicated to the role. Previous experience is not required as all training will be provided.
Owned by the Fletcher-Brewer family for more than 70 years, Porth Tocyn is a 17-bedroom Country House Hotel with a 2 Rosette restaurant. It also has a beautiful self-catering cottage and a cosy shepherds hut for glamping within its grounds. All of this is set in 25 acres of farmland just 2 miles beyond the popular village of Abersoch. The hotel itself is furnished with characterful antiques and wonderful fabrics, it has an outdoor heated swimming pool, tennis court and breath-taking views across Cardigan Bay to Snowdonia.
We are looking for general assistants to start as soon as possible on a full time and/or part time basis until the end of the season.
The general assistant role predominantly involves restaurant work and housekeeping duties but may also include some kitchen porter, bar, reception, and porter duties.
• To provide a consistently high standard of customer service in all departments.
• To be responsible for assisting the Duty Manager with the smooth operation of breakfast, lunch, and dinner service, as well as restaurant and bar set-up and closedown. (General Assistant Position) Taking orders, serving food and drink, and dealing with all customer enquiries in the restaurant. (General Assistant Position)
• House keeping duties (if applicable to your position) – including bedrooms, communal areas and restaurant
• To assist with reception duties, checking guests in and out, porterage and general enquiries. (General Assistant Position)
• Kitchen porter duties (if applicable to your position) - washing kitchen equipment and keeping the kitchen at a very high standard of cleanliness. (KP/General Assistant Position)
Skills and Attributes
We are searching for an energetic, intuitive, and passionate individual who is professional, friendly and presentable. Some experience in restaurant or hotel work and an interest in food and drink would be desirable but is not necessary if the individual is willing to learn.
The candidate must...
• Be committed to delivering consistent high levels of customer service
• Have a strong work ethic, common sense, and willingness to learn
• Be loyal
• Be friendly and have a positive attitude
• Be highly motivated and reliable
• Be proactive and able to use their own initiative
• Be able to work effectively as part of a team and on their own
We have 4 main shifts in a day (Morning, Housekeeping, Afternoon, Evening). You will be working up to two of these shifts including morning and evening split shifts. (General Assistant Position) Hours of work will be dependent on trade and number of staff at any one time; but will be able to offer an average of 35+ hours a week over a monthly cycle and in the height of season we are likely to be offering more. Time off will vary every week; but we do try to take your requests into account where adequate notice is given. Weekends are our busiest times of the week and as such we will expect you to be able to work most Fridays, Saturdays and bank holidays.
£9.50 - £10 per hour
Holiday pay will be paid in addition to the above.
Tips – are pooled between staff members based on hours worked each week. The busines and its managers/owners do not handle or accept tips from guests – this is a direct relationship between staff and our guests.
Un-serviced staff accommodation is available. There are a mixture of single occupancy and shared rooms available within our seven-bedroom staff cottage, situated directly behind the hotel. Your breakfast and dinner daily is free of charge. Staff using the accommodation facilities are expected to look after the staff cottage, keeping it tidy and leaving it as they found it. Any damages will be charged for.
Guaranteed employment in 2023 season for candidates that prove their ability and form a strong bond as part of the team.
Appearance and Uniform
We are looking for smart and presentable individuals who will be able to represent Porth Tocyn to the highest levels.
Front of House Uniform:
Ladies - We will provide you with one of our skirts. You will need to make sure you have a pair of all black flat court or ballet style shoes, a few. sleeve plain white shirts/blouses and underwear that cannot be seen under these; we recommend white/nude or wearing plain white camisoles under your shirt.
Gents - Plain white or pale blue shirts, plain black or navy suit trousers or chinos, smart shoes and pastel-coloured ties for the dinner service.